Saturday, February 12, 2005

Cooking class

"I don't think I want to handle the prawns, I am allergic to prawns," I said.

"Oh she is allergic to prawns," said D to L.

"Ah lots of Filipinoes are allergic to prawns," said L.

"I had a Filipino maid who was allergic to prawns," continued L.

Here I was in a cooking class that is costing me a bomb, with women at least 10 years older than me.

At the end of the day, I am still facing racism and social stereotypes.

I wanted to tell her,

1. I am not Filipino.
2. I am not a maid.
3. 2/2 does not mean 100%.

But I didn't. I could not be bothered. She was making an assumption based on what she knew. She thinks that all Asians here are Filipinos or that no matter where we come from we are the same. Why should I be upset by her ignorance?

Perhaps I could enlighten her a little. And perhaps by not being bothered to do so, I will reinforce the misconception and prejudice.

Or perhaps it is I who is prejudiced. Perhaps it is I who is over sensitive?

So whats wrong if people think I am Filipino? And what's wrong if people think I am a maid? Surely its not what people think that matters? Surely if they don't matter to me, so why should I care what they think of me?

I was beginning to regret signing up for this class a little bit. The recipes were not new to me. The people, not the sort I would normally hang out with.

But I always want to try something new. I am always in search of a new experience. Am I getting old and jaded? Should I have just given away the money to feed the poor?

No comments: